There are few choices in life that are more important than choosing the primary care physician that is right for you. He or she will be providing you with a wide range of services including the diagnosis and treatment of illnesses, prevention of disease, health maintenance, education and counseling, and more. They are the person responsible for your whole physical wellbeing. Therefore it is very important that you choose the right type of primary doctor Brooklyn.
Not all doctors are the same. They have varying types of education focused on different medical disciplines. You should have a basic understanding of the different types of primary physicians and what they do.
Types Of Primary Care Physicians
- Family Medicine– Family practice doctors are qualified to treat patients of any age, or in other words the entire family, from infants to seniors. Their education and board certification focuses on general knowledge of the body at every stage of life.
- Internal Medicine– Also known as internists, these physicians treat patients from the early teens on through adulthood, although the beginning age of patients can vary according to their practice. Their education focuses on the internal organs and health of adults. Some will further specialize in other disciplines like sports medicine, dermatology, and gynecology.
- Obstetrician/Gynecologist– These professionals focus on issues of women’s health. They can treat women of all ages, especially during their reproductive years. They monitor women during their pregnancy, performing exams and tests, and also deliver the baby. They also administer many other preventative health exams for women including mammograms, pap smears, bone density tests, and more.
- Pediatrician– Doctors who are specially trained to understand developing bodies and to treat children, generally from infancy through the age of 21. They will often consult with other types of physicians and specialists as the need arises.
- Geriatrician– Older adults, especially over the age of 60, have special physical and medical needs, and these types of physicians have been educated and trained to work with the elderly. They provide general primary care, assist with the management of medications, perform mental and physical assessments after falls or other incidents, help patients to cope with memory problems, and other issues related to aging.
Primary care physicians may be medical doctors (MD) or doctors of osteopathic medicine (DO). Both receive the same amount of education and pass the same types of certification and licensing. Many DOs serve as a primary doctor Brooklyn.
If you have further questions about primary care physicians, don’t hesitate to contact Maimonides Medical Center and we’ll be happy to help.